A customer last night turned to me and asked who wrote The Sun Also Rises. It was clear from her expression that she expected me to know this off the top of my head.
I did, and told her she could find it in fiction under H, but she should also check our promo table for summer reading.
Minimum wage jobs are often unfulfilling drudgery, but as a grad student, sometimes you need the dough. I like that I have one that at least requires me to dress nicely and be familiar with Hemingway.
Jessica S. Schley was once a pusher of very important papers for a small commercial nonfiction house. Nowadays, she divides her time between bookselling, being a grad student, and writing contemporary fiction for young adults.
- ► 2012 (33)
- In Brief: Nelogism
- Writing Hack: Launch Your WIP With Your Keyboard (...
- In Brief: Longterm Pride
- Strict Pick: EVERYTHING ON IT by Shel Silverstein
- Writing Hack: Use an E-Reader to Organize your "To...
- In Brief: Don't Need a Title Computer
- Blog rec: Bookavore
- Strict Pick: PERFECT by Ellen Hopkins
- Writing Hack: Prepping the first 5
- In Brief: Write First
- Strict Pick: BUMBLE-ARDY by Maurice Sendak
- Writing Hack: Firewall Your Attention with a Lamp ...
- In Brief: BICHOK*
- ▼ September (13)