J is for Jump Breaks, or the things that keep your blog looking neat.
Some of us are, erm, for lack of a better word...well, wordy. And so when we get going on a blog post, it's really easy to post something that takes up ALL THE SPACE on the front page of our blogs. And if you're using your blog as your main author page, presenting a page that scrolls forever and ever is just sort of unsightly, and it can make you appear even wordier than you actually are.
So...insert a break. When you know you're going to go on more than a few hundred words, write a pithy intro to your post (you're doing that anyway, right?) and then click the jump break button. Here's what it looks like on Blogger:
And on Wordpress:
If you have some HTML and CSS skills, you can even customize what the jump break looks like I created a little scotch-taped "read more" paper scrap to match my blog's template. Using jump breaks keeps your posts tidy, and your readers' browsing experience even tidier. Happy blogging!
This month I'm participating in the A-Z blog challenge. My theme is "writer hacks," or 26 shortcuts you can do as a writer to get the most out of writing and the journey toward and through publication. Find out more about it at a-to-zchallenge.com, and hop around to read the other cool blogs that are part of the challenge!
Jessica S. Schley was once a pusher of very important papers for a small commercial nonfiction house. Nowadays, she divides her time between bookselling, being a grad student, and writing contemporary fiction for young adults.
- Get to Know You
- Wrangle Story Research With Zotero
- Use X-Ray to Improve Your Structure
- Take Word to the Max
- Edit Better by Switching Views
- Get Started Easily with Unfinished Work
- Mind the Time
- Using Scrivener to Straighten Out Your Novel
- Format Pretty and Share Like Crazy with Rich Text ...
- Give Yourself a Quota
- Make Creative Playlists -- Post 100!
- Use OmmWriter to Write Your Zen
- Make Writing a Sport with NaNoWriMo
- Foster Pavlovian Creativity with Music
- Let Your Library Work For You
- Speed Up Your Keyboard
- Tsjuz Your Blog With Jump Breaks
- Instant Inspiration with iTunes
- Cancel Noise With Headphones
- Shelve for Your Purposes on Goodreads
- Get "Freedom" From Distraction
- Capture Ideas with Evernote
- Make Your Desk Environment Work
- Use Children's Nonfiction for Research
- 7 Things a Writer Should Do at The Bookstore
- Use Amazon to Find Great Comp Titles
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2012 (33)